An interesting case was the large snake that came in on emergency and was transferred to my department that next morning. He was a beautiful python that not only gulped down two rabbits for his meal the night before, but also the electric cord of an appliance that was near his meal. Radiographs revealed the skeletons of his prey as well as the metallic parts and wire of the severed cord that was tangled with the food. The plan was to sedate the snake, intubate him (place an endotracheal tube to hook to a ventillator) and perform an enterotomy–surgically open the stomach to remove the contents. Since he was such a big snake, we needed to lay out addtional tables to support his full size and it took multiple staff to restrain during the initial part of the surgery. But it went well and once he was fully anesthetized I was able to prepare for my first incision. Fortunately, I was able to use not just the radiographs with markers placed to identify where to make the incision, but his meal also made a nice lump along his body that identified where the best place to start. Incisions were made through the skin, muscle and stomach wall until the foreign bodies were reached. The prey was removed along with the cord that was hopelessly tangled with them and I was able to finish up the closure and prepare the pet for recovery. Most vets have a story that consists of random items eaten by pets. Other items removed from a variety of pets (from myself and colleagues) include coins, pieces of rubber and foam, hairballs, a beer bottle (another vet and another snake), staples, and cloth to name a few. Birds tend to ingest items like bread twisty ties and jewlery or cloth and string. Rabbits like to go for carpeting and bedding. Ferrets love rubber and chewy items (sneakers, erasers, etc) and reptiles eat a variety of substrate including rocks and sand. No matter what type of pet or what the ingested item is, these cases tend to be medically and surgically challenging.